- Sir Christofel de-Silva (1824–1842)
- Don William Gunawardene De-Saram III (1842–1856)
- Sir Hendrick Ekanayake (1856–1860)
- Sir Alexander-James Divakara Mohotti (1860–1888)
- Don Agaris Divakara Mohotti (1888–1924)
The Mudaliyar Office was abolished in 1924 and the last of the colonial headman retired from their positions and gave up the rule to the British officers in 1926. All headman positions were then passed down to the newly elected governor-general of Central Province. This was established in 1929 as a way for the British to directly rule the provinces.
The historic Matale town, Temple of the Tooth, Dambulla cave temple, Aluwihare temple and the Sigiriya rock are in the Central Province.